How do I change my remote desktop password if it expires?

Hello everyone,

I recently encountered an issue where my Remote Desktop password expired, and I was unable to log in. After some trial and error, I managed to resolve the issue and wanted to share the steps with the community. Hopefully, this can help anyone facing a similar problem.

Steps to Change an Expired Remote Desktop Password:

1. Log in Locally or Use Another Account:

• If you have physical access to the machine, log in locally with your current (expired) credentials.

• Alternatively, if you have another user account with administrative privileges, use that to log in.

2. Use the On-Screen Prompt (If Available):

• Sometimes, when you try to log in with your expired password via Remote Desktop, you might get a prompt to change the password. Follow the instructions provided in this prompt.

3. Change Password via Ctrl+Alt+Del:

• Once logged in (locally or remotely using another account), press Ctrl + Alt + Del.

• Select "Change a password".

• Enter your old password and the new password twice, then press Enter.

4. Access via Command Prompt:

• Open Command Prompt (you may need to run as administrator).

• Use the command net user [yourusername] [newpassword]. Example: net user johnDoe P@ssw0rd123!

5. Using PowerShell:

• Open PowerShell with administrative privileges.

• Use the command Set-LocalUser -Name "[yourusername]" -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString "newpassword" -AsPlainText -Force). Example: Set-LocalUser -Name "johnDoe" -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString "P@ssw0rd123!" -AsPlainText -Force)

6. Update Password via Control Panel:

• Navigate to Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts.

• Select "Manage another account".

• Choose the account you need to update.

• Select "Change the password".

Tips to Avoid Future Issues:

• Enable Password Expiry Notifications: Ensure your system is set to notify you before passwords expire. This can be done through Group Policy or system settings.

• Remote Password Change Policy: Consider configuring a policy that allows users to change passwords via Remote Desktop before they expire.

• Regular Updates: Regularly update and change your passwords to avoid expiration.

I hope this guide helps anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. If you have any additional tips or if I missed something, please feel free to add to this thread.