Crypto Options Vs. Futures Contract

Rate this topic

The concept of the third wave in this context refers to the evolution of trading markets:

1) The first wave represents the emergence and growth of the spot trading market in recent years.

2) The second wave signifies the current prominence of the futures trading market.

3) According to financial experts, the options trading market is believed to be the anticipated third wave. The question remains: can this belief become a reality?

Edited by Osmund
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a potential for this to materialize, considering the substantial growth of the options market in traditional financial markets such as stocks and commodities, which has exceeded the performance of both spot and futures markets. However, the advancement of options in the crypto market remains relatively constrained.

• Like 1

Despite January 2023 being considered a relatively lackluster period for the cryptocurrency market, it marked the beginning of the options trading boom. ETH options trading volume on Deribit set a record at $5.4 million in January 2023, representing a 36% increase compared to December 2022. Additionally, Bitcoin options trading volume rose by 10% compared to December. These statistics and charts clearly demonstrate the growing options market, promising a powerful surge and development in the near future. Additionally, there exists a limited number of exchanges specializing in options, such as DBOE, Deribit, oribit, and others.

• Like 2

The perspective expressed aligns with my own, as I am of the belief that options have the potential to propel the cryptocurrency market forward and signify its third phase of development. Nonetheless, the limited adoption of options, particularly in the realm of traditional European-style options on cryptocurrency exchanges, can be attributed to the swift and substantial volatility that characterizes the crypto market. While Binance serves as a platform for American-style options, options trading is not its primary focus. Personally, I have encountered difficulties when attempting to utilize Deribit. Currently, DBOE stands out as a potentially accessible and user-friendly exchange, offering well-received European-style options trading approaches that incorporate staggered strike prices and weekly expiration dates, resonating with traditional investors. It is worth noting that DBOE operates as a decentralized exchange (DEX).

• Like 1

Options are regarded as the subsequent stage in the world of cryptocurrency; however, their adoption remains limited owing to the significant market volatility. Deribit is commonly acknowledged for its complexity, while Binance lacks a particular focus in this domain. In contrast, DBOE stands as a user-friendly platform that offers European-style options featuring staggered strike prices. Notably, DBOE operates as a decentralized exchange, adding another layer of distinction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can engage in real options trading on a genuine exchange to feel the different by participating in the "How to Master Options" competition arranged by the DBOE Academy. I took part in the HMO event, where I delved into the demo version of options trading on dboe.exchange. This experience substantially augmented my understanding of options trading and equipped me with valuable strategies for achieving profitability. Though I haven't secured any rewards yet, receiving 10,000 NUSD for practice trading was a delightful boost. The event is ongoing, so if you're interested, feel free to join at https://academy.dboe.io/event-how-to-master-options/.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 5:58 PM, Osmund said:

Seeking opinions: Do you think crypto options hold the potential to outshine futures and propel the crypto industry into its "third wave"?

In the realm of options trading, the Defi Board Options Exchange (DBOE Exchange) emerges as a noteworthy platform worth exploring. Setting itself apart from competitors, DBOE Exchange offers a host of remarkable features. Notably, it operates on a 100% on-chain Central Limit Order Book (CLOB) system, ensuring utmost transparency and control. This distinguishes it from exchanges relying on the Automated Market Maker (AMM) model. Moreover, DBOE Exchange caters to traders seeking diverse options positions, including short calls, short puts, long calls, and long puts. This comprehensive range.

• Like 1